Monday, November 12, 2007

COTM | Thriller

Snapple Tropical Mango Antioxidant Water - it's Monday!

So I was going to wait 3 weeks for this, but this is just too good. In less than 3 weeks we will all be celebrating one of the most important days in like World History....

...the anniversary of Michael Jackson's Thriller! That's right December 1st [which is also World AIDS Day] is the 25th Anniversary of one of the best albums - with one of the weirdest alternative covers, but I digress. Oh Thriller. They don't make albums like that anymore. It's just amazing on so many levels. Shall we review? Here's how you know an album is the ish diddles and has ridiculous staying power....
  • Music Video: The Thriller video is like an actual movie - and that mess scared the bejeezuz out of me when I was little. For the record, never show a child "The Making of Thriller" - ever... especially while that child happens to be visiting Africa.
  • Publicity: MJ just made the cover of Ebony Magazine....and he's not even Ebony anymore! Influence.
  • Dance: I know the entire dance - and so do you - don't deny it. But... um... er... uh... when a detention center in the Philippines reenacts the entire video 24 years later?! Did I mention that this is a male detention center? So that unattractive woman you see at the beginning & end....well...you figure it out.
  • Remakes: Chris Brown wasn't even born when this album was released. Fast forward to the end - it has a montage of his videos. Good stuff.
  • Album Sales: Thriller is the best selling album of all time! Purple Rain has to be a close second...if not, I'll cry.
  • Concerts: The Thriller tour was clearly one of the best ever. Ahh...1987...when I had a serious crush on MJ. This is also the year my bro JP got me MJ's Bad album and secured my happiness and bestest, awesomest brother in the world status. I still remember the day as though it was yesterday...."put the needle on the record"...
  • Songs: Thriller, Beat It, PYT, The Girl is Mine, The Lady in My Life, Human Nature...lyrical goodness!!! And I quote, " Where Did You Come From Lady, And Ooh Won't You Take Me There; Right Away Won't You Baby; Tendoroni You've Got To Be; Spark My Nature Sugar Fly With Me" - genius. Do you know how many folks have remixed his songs?!?!
Michael Jackson may be a little different... but he sure makes some good music! Since most of you aren't working anyways [you really shouldn't be reading this e-mail at work...you should be ashamed] - I have a project for you. Remember the good times - think of your favorite Michael Jackson song and make that your theme song for the week. Oh - and let me know what it is!

Words of wisdom, words of wisdom.

Have a great week!

p.s: Here's your MOS - I don't know...this kind of scared me more than the original video.



No comments: