Monday, January 21, 2008

COTM | MLK Day!

Snappy Martin Luther King Day!

OK, raise your hand if you have to work today....yup....just as I suspected. Most of you guys are at work! Whatever happened to taking the day off and remembering one of history's most influential people? When I was little we spent the entire day celebrating, educating, and remembering. When I was in Middle School we had a half day of school and that first half included some sort of Martin Luther King festivity. In college we had MLK luncheons, speakers series...and ski trips [I know...this one I could have left out]. And now I'm lucky if I hear "We Shall Overcome" being hummed on the street. I mean - I haven't even seen that cheesy McDonald's commercial with the birthday cake and blazing candles for Dr. King. For some reason it's so prominent as a student but not as a working professional. Well no worries - I have some ideas for all of you at work today...and some of you who don't have to work but would still like to remember this amazing man ...


  • Serve: "Everybody can be great because everybody can serve" [MLK]. Find a service opportunity in your area - or create one. You don't have to go out and build a house today [maybe tomorrow??]. Just do something small that will make a big difference.
  • Share:When I was in second grade we had to write an essay about what MLK means to us. I look back at that and think how great it would be to do that today [verbally of course, I'm SO over essays]. Talk to your friends and family about what he, his mission, and his family mean to you. Better yet - find a child to talk to - it's all about perspective and they're looking for it.
  • Remember: Even if you work from 7 am to 7pm, find a few moments to remember the life, teachings, and influence of Dr. King. Read an excerpt, watch a video of one of his speeches, identify his presence in yourself and those around you.
  • Celebrate: We all live throughout the United States, but each State has an official MLK celebration somewhere. For example, Tavis Smiley is at the Mpls Convention Center right now. Find a luncheon, parade, lecture ... something!
  • Live: A couple years ago I had the chance to spend an afternoon with Yolanda King [when I was @ NBC]. Hearing about MLK from his own daughter was amazing to say the least, but hearing about how we all play a role in the human family was inspirational. Live in the human family ...think about it.



Whatever you do today, take a few moments to think about what today is all about. Then, think about what you're going to do to add to this great legacy...and then do it!

Words of wisdom, words of wisdom.


Have a great week! And Happy MLK Day!

p.s: Here's your MOS - so when I was little, I thought my Dad was Dr. King. He had this graduation picture from Med School that I compared to a picture of MLK and I was convinced they were the same person...or at least brothers. Very confusing time for me...


p.p.s: Check out the Google Image today. Love it!

No comments: