Monday, April 2, 2007

COTM | What's My Name?

Well whadda you know - it's Monday again! Time for some wis-dom. It's only the second e-mail and I've almost run out of wis-dom...this may be a first of the month thing - like your bills, lol.

So what's in a name? Lately I've been hearing some really *interesting* names. I have a feeling that gone are the days of Marys and Josephs. Unless, of course, you read the Bible. Last week I had to conduct mock interviews with a few teenagers and barely made it past the first 5 seconds when they handed me their resumes with their names on top. I've never SEEN so many syllables!


So here's something to think about for the week. A few guidelines, if you
will, for naming your future children...
  • Stay away from making-up a name and/or spelling. There are like 76 kagillion name out there to choose from.
  • Unless your name is "ethnic," try to stay away from apostrophes, umlauts, silent letters, and double capital letters. I know I just offended like 10 of you. It's ok. I didn't mean it.
  • Unless you plan on your child growing up to be a "star" or "athlete" or "star athlete," don't give them names that could potentially get them beat up on the playground...or keep them from getting a J-O-B. Trust me, it's a cruel, cruel world.
  • If you give your child a first name that sounds like a prepositional phrase, make sure you last name isn't a noun. ie: Anna Top, Anna Book, Anna House...you get the point.
The exception? "Sho'nuff The Showgun of Harlem"...

He EARNED his name.

Words of wisdom, words of wisdom.

Have a great week!

No comments: