Monday, April 23, 2007

COTM | Chicken Noodle Soup

Sigh. It's Monday again?! Well I'll be!

So I've been thinking (I know - it kind of hurts) - is Hip Hop really dead? That seems to be the musical question of the year. I certainly think that every 25 years or so a completely new form of music surfaces, stamping a cultural identity for each generation. But back to the question - is Hip Hop really dead? Me thinks not....but it certainly needs a little CPR or somethin'. I'm not being pessimistic, but let me just run you by a few reasons why Hip Hop may have to reassess its livelihood...
  • Comedians making fun of Hip Hop:


    ...this is great though. "temperature is the only thing keeping me from drinking that coffee." Do you have a B-Boy stance?
  • Writers making fun of Hip Hop [thanks Angel]: "Mims is hot because he's fly. But it raises the question: Does being hot guarantee one's being fly? "You ain't 'cause you not" would seem to clear that up"
  • Hip Hop Pioneers on Oprah: I don't have to explain this one. But I thought that Hip Hop had gone into cardiac arrest when I saw Russell Simmons, Kevin Lyles, & Common talking to Oprah during her "Hip Hop Town Hall... HIP HOP TOWN HALL! " This is either really good or really bad...I haven't decided yet.
Well whatever the case may be, I do know one thing about Hip Hop - I love it. And if you love it too, you'll preserve it by doing the following...

Every morning when you wake up, look at yourself in the mirror and " You can roll your arms (roll your arms), and just put 'em in rotation (rotation), rock side, to side, now snap yo' fangaz like 'dem temptations" and when you go to bed at night, look in the same mirror and say, "Lets Get Gone, Walk It Out (Now Walk It Out - Think About It - Aaahhh Snap!!!) Now Rock Rock Rock Rock You Can Do It All By Yo'self." Repeat as necessary.

Words of wisdom, words of wisdom.

Have a great week!

No comments: