Monday, May 7, 2007

COTM | Bad English

Top of the Monday Mornin to ya!

Ok, folks. Our language makes NO sense. Now don't get me wrong - I appreciate it (since I speak English quite fluently thank you very much)...but then again I'm American...and that's probably expected. So check this out...
  • We have 26 letters in the alphabet. 25 of them have one syllable, for simplicity I would imagine. But then you get to this jerk of a letter W...three syllables! On top of that, it isn't even a "double u" it's a "double v"! What tha?...
  • Ever notice how flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?
  • What about words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently. Think about these sentences: "I want to present the present," "the dove dove into the tree," "I wound the bandage around the wound," ...I can go on but I'll just get frustrated.
  • A hamburger doesn't have any ham in it, there's no egg in eggplant, and I still can't find the pine or the apple in a pineapple. That's just false advertising.
  • Floccinaucinihilipilification - I feel like this word can exist with less letters. Actually, I feel like this word shouldn't exist. Is there no better way to explain "the estimation of something as valueless"? I can think of a few.
  • The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English alphabet...random, I know.
So given the ridiculous structure of the English language, here's my two cents for the week: It's in your best interest to learn another language. May I suggest Pirahã? Only 150 people speak it and I really think it could have a come-back.

Words of wisdom, words of wisdom.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.